S&P launches hedge fund index
Standard & Poor's, the financial research, ratings and indices group, has launched the S&P Hedge Fund Index and three style sub-indices.
The S&P Hedge Fund Index comprises 40 funds representing nine distinct hedge fund investment strategies grouped into three broad style categories-Arbitrage, Event-Driven and Directional/Tactical.
S&P said its Hedge Fund Index "is designed to be investable and representative of the broad-based investment experience of the hedge fund marketplace. The index is equal weighted to ensure well-rounded representation of hedge fund investment approaches and to avoid over-representation of strategies that are in favor at the time".
The calculation of daily values for the index and sub-indices provides a high level of transparency and enables investors to track the impact of specific market events on the hedge fund asset class as a whole or on the three broad style categories tracked by the sub-indices.
Standard & Poor's is making this data available to all investors through its website www.spglobal.com. S&P Hedge Fund Index data will also soon be available on Reuters and Bloomberg.
The S&P Hedge Fund Index has been licensed to PlusFunds for the development of investment products that replicate the index.
More information about the structure, design and constituents of the S&P Hedge Fund Index can be found on www.spglobal.com.
Background Note: Standard & Poor's provides financial data, analytical research and investment and credit opinions to the global capital markets. Among the company's many products are the S&P Global 1200, the first real-time, global equity index, the S&P 500, the premier US portfolio index, and credit ratings on more than 220,000 securities and funds.
Founded in 1888, The McGraw-Hill Companies is a global information services provider meeting worldwide needs in the financial services, education and business information markets through leading brands such as Standard & Poor's, BusinessWeek and McGraw-Hill Education. The Corporation has more than 350 offices in 33 countries. Sales in 2001 were US$4.6 billion
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location