ABN AMRO to sell US Professional Brokerage unit to Merrill Lynch
ABN AMRO has agreed to sell its US-based Professional Brokerage business to Merrill Lynch & Co. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Under the agreement Merrill Lynch will acquire the four divisions of ABN AMRO's Professional Brokerage business, which provides securities clearing, trade execution and operational support services to participants in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />US options and securities markets.
Under the transaction, which is expected to close by June, Merrill will absorb technology for handling order flow from institutional investors such as hedge funds, as well as a back-office clearing operations.
ABN AMRO stated: "This decision has been taken as part of our strategy to focus increased resources on a more limited range of core activities within Wholesale Clients (WCS) and to ensure our product offering is fully aligned with our client led model".
"The sale or restructuring of this business will involve associated costs. These costs will be offset by the gains from the sale of the Bank's US Prime Brokerage business, therefore the sale or restructuring is expected to have no impact on the group for 2003."
The Professional Brokerage business operates out of San Francisco, Chicago and New York.
copyright hedgeweek 2004
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund