Eurex achieves record March turnover with over 117 million contracts
March 2004 was the most successful month in the history of Eurex, the international derivatives exchange.
Eurex broke the existing record achieved in March 2003 (106 million contracts) by around 11 million contracts, or 10 per cent, bringing monthly turnover up to over 117 million contracts.
In Q1 2004, Eurex, the world's largest derivatives exchange turned over around 290 million contracts, outperforming Q1 2003 (265 million contracts) by nine per cent.
The fixed income product group at Eurex also achieved a new turnover record, trading 59.7 million contracts (March 2003: 58.5 million contracts). Turnover in the Euro-Bobl-Future reached a record 16.9 million contracts (June 2003: 15.7 million), while the volume of Euro-Schatz-Future contracts traded totaled a record 13.4 million (March 2003: 13.2 million). Turnover in Euro-Bund futures amounted to 24.3 million contracts, which meant that it remained the most heavily traded product on Eurex.
A record volume of equity-based derivatives (ca. 57.5 million contracts) was traded in March. Both equity-index derivatives and equity options set new records with turnovers of 34.5 million and 23 million contracts respectively. A number of individual products also achieved record turnover: 16.8 million contracts (previous record: 16.5 million) in futures on the DJ EURO STOXX 50, 3.6 million contracts (previous record: 3.2 million) in DAX futures, and 315,984 contracts traded in French equity options (previous record: 312,700).
Eurex recorded strong growth in the Dutch equity option segment: at around 707,000, the number of contracts traded was up 48 per cent on the same month last year.
The electronic trading platform Eurex Bonds, which rounds off Eurex's fixed-income product range, again recorded strong growth in the trading activities of its market participants in March 2004. Trading in Eurex Bonds increased 18 per cent as against March 2003.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund