Dow Jones to launch new US long/short equity index
Dow Jones Indexes is to launch a sixth hedge fund index in October called the Dow Jones Hedge Fund Strategy Benchmark Equity Long/Short (US).
The index expands the number of indices offered by Dow Jones Hedge Fund Indexes, Inc. (DJHFI) to six.
Ridgely Walters, president of DJHFI, said: "The equity long-short strategy uses techniques such as short selling and derivatives, which aren't available to traditional equity-based investment portfolios, in pursuit of supplemental sources of return. We think the Dow Jones Hedge Fund Strategy Equity Long/Short Benchmark will be a strong addition to our existing five strategies."
The Dow Jones Hedge Fund Strategy Benchmarks measure individual hedge fund strategies. The five existing strategies are Equity Market Neutral, Convertible Arbitrage, Distressed Securities, Merger Arbitrage and Event Driven.
DJHFI provides style-pure, hedge fund strategy indexes that exhibit highly correlated component returns. The methodologies and components underlying the Dow Jones Hedge Fund Strategy Benchmarks are available on the Dow Jones Indexes Web site at www.djindexes.com
DJHFI has established an index advisory committee to ensure that the Dow Jones Hedge Fund Strategy Benchmarks remain methodologically sound and objectively maintained. The advisory committee has eight members, including representation from DJHFI, Dow Jones Indexes and seven representatives comprised of professionals affiliated with major institutions and pension plans responsible for pursuing investments in alternative assets.
The Dow Jones Indexes Hedge Fund Strategy Benchmark Advisory Committee Members are as follows:
* John A. Prestbo, Editor, Dow Jones Indexes, Chairman of the Dow Jones Index Oversight Committee
* Ridgely Walters, President of Dow Jones Hedge Fund Indexes, Inc. and Senior Director, Client Development and Sales, Dow Jones Indexes
* Garry Crowder, Founder and CEO, Lyra Capital LLC
* Nancy Everett, Chief Investment Officer, Virginia Retirement Systems
* Philip Halpern, Independent Advisor
* Neil J. Petroff, Senior Vice President, International Equities Indices, Fixed
Income and Alternative Investments, Ontario Teachers Pension Plan
* Laurence Siegel, Director, Investment Policy Research, The Ford Foundation
* Edgar J. Sullivan, Vice President of Investment Research and Co-Portfolio Manager, Absolute Return Strategy, General Motors Asset Management.
Background Note: Dow Jones Indexes is a global provider of investable indexes, including the Dow Jones Averages, the Dow Jones Global Titans 50, the Dow Jones Asian Titans 50, the Dow Jones Sector Titans, the Dow Jones Country Titans Indexes and is co-owner of the Pan-European Dow Jones STOXX Indexes. Dow Jones Indexes is part of Dow Jones & Company, which publishes business and financial news and information.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund