SciVest launches SciVest Net Short Equity Fund
SciVest Capital Management Inc. has launched of the SciVest Net Short Equity Fund designed to provide a unique tool for managing market risk.
Preliminary research suggests that the current offering of net short funds is primarily focused on either shorting distressed securities or writing put options to generate income. Neither strategy is specifically designed to reduce the beta of a portfolio.
The same study found that most long-short hedge funds have a long bias. Hence, holders of this type of investment incur significant market risk. Up until now, the only truly effective way to reduce this risk has been by shorting the relevant index. However, this method fails to create alpha.
The SciVest Net Short Equity Fund takes a different approach. Using the same quantitative engine used to run SciVest's award winning market neutral equity fund, the SciVest Net Short Equity Fund turns the exposure 'dials' such that the Fund's forecasted beta and net cash exposures will be tuned to deliver a fixed beta of negative 0.5.
SciVest's success is a result of its approach, remaining true to its risk management principles of strictly defined limits, diversification of holdings, limiting concentrations in economic sectors and industries, avoidance of liquidity traps as well as controlling market exposure.
The SciVest Net Short Equity Fund commenced operations on July 9, 2004 and is currently open to new investment.
SciVest was recently awarded the Top Performing Emerging and Mid-Stage Equity Market Neutral Manager globally for 2003 by GAIM. The award is based on returns posted to the Tremont TASS database.
With over USD 170 million of assets under management, SciVest focuses exclusively on managing quantitative portfolios.
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location