Portus founder flees Canada for Israel as hedge fund collapses
Boaz Manor, a founding partner of Portus Alternative Asset Management, fled to Israel days before an investigation into the collapse of the Portus hedge fund.
KPMG, the appointed receiver for Portus, has advised the Canadian court that it hadn't even had a chance to serve Manor with a notice of examination, before discovering that he had restored his status as resident in Israel.
The multinational accounting firm says it doesn't know whether Manor means to return to Canada or if he even knew of the probe. Meanwhile, the lawyers who had been representing the former and present Israeli don't represent him any more. KPMG says it might try to question Manor in Israel.
Portus has accrued a USD 1.1 billion debt and seems unable to return more than 62 percent of the investors' money, says KPMG. Among other things Portus mysteriously transferred CAD 238 million out of Canada, the receiver alleges, but it has CAD 662.40 million worth of assets. KPMG means to declare Portus bankrupt, to facilitate restoration of capital to its backers.
If it uncovers criminal activity, the global accounting firm warned, it will hand the matter over to the Canadian police. Meanwhile, it's struggling to track down all Portus' debts and assets - a difficult task given the complexity of its structures.
Manor moved to Canada with his father in 1988. In 2002 he founded Portus together with Michael Mendelson. It rapidly became one of Canada's fastest-growing hedge funds, with 26,000 customers.
Questioning of Portus co-founder Michael Mendelson has already begun, and questioning of former Portus VP Ali Hamid is also reportedly underway.
The reputation of the CAD 14 billion Canadian hedge fund industry is still vulnerable because it lacks the size or stature of, say, the CAD 480 billion Canadian mutual fund business.
The prospect of a long, drawn-out investigation may temporarily slow the Canadian industry's ongoing efforts to attract new inflows into its fast growing hedge funds sector.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund