RMF seeds Japanese long/short equity fund
RMF is to seed San Francisco-based start-up hedge fund manager GSB Capital's long/short equity fund, Phoenix Japan Master Fund L.P.
The Phoenix Japan Fund, based in the Cayman Islands, is managed by Geoffrey Bennett and his team. Its investment universe consists of mid and large caps primarily located in Japan covering several hundred stocks, which are filtered through proprietary tools. On top of this, qualitative analyses, including onsite visits, and a top-down view on global economics and industry trends help identify the fund's trading positions.
Bennett is a CFA with 20 years of experience in the Japanese market. He has been a Japanese equity hedge fund manager for more than six years, and previously traded on the RHG platform in New York. He ran the successful Windham Pacific Japan Fund from 1999-2003. Previously, Geoffrey was an equity analyst and trader for ING Barings Securities and the US Trust Company of New York.
Christopher Paul, CFA, has more than 20 years of investment experience. Previously, he was a senior technology analyst for Avera Global Partners. Chris was also an analyst at Salomon Smith Barney and Volpe Brown Whelan.
Kevin Haag worked with Geoffrey for five years at the Windham Pacific Japan Fund as a senior analyst. Prior to that, he was an analyst at Japan's Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) and a sales-trader at Nomura in Tokyo.
Claude Porret, head of Hedge Fund Ventures at RMF and Member of the RMF Management Committee, said: "Geoffrey and his team are all experienced investment professionals with a clear edge in the Japanese market. They traded the market in good but mostly during difficult times. With the Phoenix Japan fund, we are increasing our exposure to Asia confirming RMF's positive stance toward the region."
The Phoenix Japan Fund joins a growing list of funds in RMF's Hedge Fund Ventures portfolio, including:
• Brookville Capital, a US distressed and special situations fund
• Arlington Hill Debt Strategies, a global fixed income arbitrage fund
• Drake Global Opportunities, a relative value and global macro fund
• Coromandel Trend Fund, a systematic CTA fund
• Stone Harbor Advisors, a Japanese event-driven fund
• Pine Tree, a Korean long/short equity fund
• Derchin Offshore, a US long/short equity fund
• Panton Capital, a US credit arbitrage fund
• Azura Asia Opportunity, an Asian multi-strategy macro fund
• Pyrenees Weather and Energy, an event-driven fund
• D3 Partners, a relative value fund.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location