Citigroup hires Nick Roe to build European prime brokerage
Citigroup Inc. has hired Nick Roe, Global Head of Prime Services at Deutsche Bank, to build its European prime brokerage business.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
The recruitment of Roe, who resigned on Tuesday and starts his new job in London this October, is a major coup for Citigroup, which has made no secret of its intention to rapidly scale up its prime brokerage business to tap into a previously ignored niche that has grown into a significant earner for its competitors.
Roe is well known in the European hedge funds space and is widely credited with developing Deutsche Bank's rapid ascendancy into the number three prime brokerage business in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Europe, behind Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs. Before joining Deutsche Bank, he was head of sales and marketing for the prime brokerage business of Morgan Stanley.
Citigroup, in an internal memo sent to equity employees, reportedly said Roe will be managing director and head of European Equity Finance/Prime Brokerage.
At Deutsche Bank, Roe has successfully built and mostly retained a core in-house team of senior executives who run its prime services business.
In an interview in early July with Hedgeweek (see Hedgeweek 1 July 2005 edition), he outlined the moves he has made to sustain and grow Deutsche Bank's healthy earnings from the Prime Services division, including moving into new areas such a turbine and airplane financing.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund