Comment II: Election stalemate could create buying opportunities in Germany
Baring Asset Management (BAM) believes the outcome of the German election could present opportunities for investors who missed the last rally.
Gianluca Giardina, Investment Manager, Baring German Growth Trust explains: "The undecided outcome of the German election has surprised the investing community. The latest opinion polls predicted a much clearer victory for the conservative CDU party."
She adds: "In fact, this result is the worst possible outcome for the market in the short-term and international investors are likely to take some profits in the coming days, particularly in areas such as utilities and restructuring stories."
However, BAM also believes it is important to put this result into perspective as economic fundamentals are currently providing a supportive backdrop to the German economy in the medium and long-term:
Gianluca Giardina continues: "The result will slow down much needed reforms, however, the positive changes that we have seen happening already in the German corporate system are likely to continue along the same path. The German market may well underperform in the short term but the medium and long-term prospects should be much more positive. We believe the market weakness currently being experienced in German equities could be a good entry point for investors who missed the recent market rally."
Angela Merkel's conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) received 35.2% of the German vote, only three seats more than their main rivals Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder's Social Democrats (SPD), who received 34.3% of the vote. Frankfurt's benchmark Dax index lost 2% in early trading on Tuesday, and the euro was down more than 1% against the US dollar.
for more information on trading and execution please click here
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location