Polar Capital launches fund focusing on European mid-large caps
Polar Capital LLP has launched Polar Capital European Conviction Fund, a concentrated equity long/short portfolio of liquid European mid and large caps.
The Fund closed at launch, having raised its target of EUR 100m in initial subscriptions. It is being managed by Rob Gurner and his Smaller Companies team, who launched the successful Polar Capital European Forager Fund Limited in summer 2003.
Mark Kary, Chief Executive Officer of Polar Capital, said: 'I am delighted to announce that we have launched the Polar Capital European Conviction Fund. This fund is managed by Rob Gurner, the successful manager of our European Smaller Companies franchise, and it will further enhance our strategy of creating a diversified, specialist investment management house.'
Polar Capital LLP was established in January 2001 (as Polar Capital Partners
Limited) as a research driven investment management company providing a highly entrepreneurial environment for outstanding portfolio managers within a structure that offers a level of marketing, administrative and operational support normally found in much larger organizations.
It now employs 44 staff and has over USD 2.6bn funds under management. A substantial majority of the business is owned by management and staff. Caledonia Investments plc, the London listed investment trust with a notable track record in backing emerging companies in the financial services sector, is the only substantial outside shareholder. Polar Capital LLP is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Gurner graduated from Exeter University in 1995 with a Masters Degree in Finance and holds a degree in Economics from the University of Wales. Before joining Barings in 1997 he had been an analyst at Royal & Sun Alliance. He has been investing on a long/short basis in European smaller companies since January 1999 when he was a founder employee at Ennismore Fund Management.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location