An Upbeat End to the Month of June - FTSE100 breaks above 5800
As Friday saw the FTSE100 and FTSE350 pushing above the 5800 and 3030 sideways resistance that has held the market back since May.
This is undoubtedly a technical improvement, and enough to flip our 50-box P&F chart back to 'Bull' status, a condition that the FTSE had enjoyed unbroken through spring 2003 to summer 2006, barring the recent setback.
Standing back from the situation, we continue to subscribe to our theory that the summer will see extended ranging action. The sharp 10% correction in May (on both FTSE100 and 350) was severe enough to put a fair dent in investor sentiment, and thus, the overhead resistance may take a little more time to be absorbed.
More of a lacklustre environment on the mid-cap FTSE250 Index, as bulls continue to hold below the range highs, near 9500. A decisive break above here is needed to secure upside recovery.
BREADTH: Comfortably above 40%
Our bullish% indicators moved up in line with the improvement in sentiment seen in the UKX's break of the 5,800 resistance.
Breadth for the blue chips gained around 9% to 53.5%, and is now comfortably above the 40% "floor" that this indicator displayed over the 2003-06 period.
Over the month of June, this sideways level had converted into resistance, and we would ideally like to see a pullback (and subsequent demonstration of support) to confirm that we are back on track for positive breadth characteristics.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund