Eurex trading volumes up 22 per cent year-on-year in October
A total of 146 million contracts were traded on the Eurex international derivatives exchange in October, a year-on-year increase of 22 per cent from 119 million contracts in the same month of 2006.
Some 1.61 billion contracts were traded in the first 10 months of 2007, surpassing the previous year's overall volume of 1.53 billion contracts. Open interest remained stable at 133 million contracts at the end of October.
The strongest growth was in equity index derivatives, which rose by 52 per cent from 38.3 million contracts in October 2006 to 58.4 million. The Dow Jones Euro Stoxx 50 Index future saw around 24 million contracts traded, an increase of 54 per cent from 15.4 million in October 2006, while turnover of the option increased even more, by 66 per cent, to 22 million contracts.
The equity derivatives segment, consisting of equity options and single stock futures, saw trading rise 12 per cent year-on-year from 23.7 million to 26.6 million contracts. Growth was driven mainly by single stock futures, which rose with 157 per cent from October 2006, but equity options remain by far the largest product area with 24.4 million contracts traded.
Fixed income derivatives saw the largest turnover in October with some 61 million contracts traded, up 6 per cent from 57.4 million in October 2006. The Euro Bund Future led trading with more than 26 million contracts, followed by the Euro Schatz Future with 14.4 million.
Eurex Repo, which operates Swiss franc and euro repo markets, set a new daily record of EUR24.1bn in its money market segment Euro GC Pooling on 24 October. Outstanding volume averaged EUR16.8bn in October, up 21 percent year-on-year from EUR13.9bn in October 2006. The combined Eurex repo markets recorded an average outstanding volume of EUR85bn in difficult market conditions, down from EUR88.9bn in October 2006.
Some EUR11.5bn (single counting) was traded in October on the Eurex Bonds electronic trading platform, compared with EUR13bn in October 2006. Trading volume in September was EUR11.3bn.
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location