Halbis appoints Shameema Yousuf as manager on Halbis Commodities Alpha Fund
Halbis, the active management specialist of the HSBC Group, has appointed Shameema Yousuf as a fund manager on the Halbis Commodities Alpha fund, working alongside lead manager Per Tingberg in managing the discretionary futures fund.
Yousuf has more than 10 years of commodities experience, most recently as a self-employed consultant. She began her career at Rand Merchant Bank in South Africa as an investment portfolio analyst, subsequent holding commodity trading, analysis and marketing positions at Amiga International, Ronly Holdings, Mako Financial Markets and Fuerst Lawson.
According to Bill Maldonado, head of alternative investments at Halbis, Yousuf's combination of investment and industrial commodity experience dovetails with the firm's fundamentally-driven ethos.
'Shameema's experience in both the physical and the financial arena is a tremendous asset,' he says. 'We are particularly excited by her grains expertise given the opportunities we see in the agricultural sectors.'
Halbis Commodities Alpha, which was launched in September 2006 and currently has USD55m in assets under management, is a long/short fundamentally-driven commodities hedge fund that invests across all commodity sectors using futures.
Maldonado says the fund differs from both systematic CTA strategies that invest primarily based on price-based technical signals and active directional funds. Sub-strategies include calendar spreads, intra-market spreads and some directional positions.
Halbis focuses on selected areas of the global market, specialising in European equities, value-added fixed income, Asian and emerging market equities, and some alternative strategies. The firm, which managed assets of USD99.4bn at the end of last year, is part of the HSBC investment businesses unit that also includes HSBC Investments and Sinopia and collectively manage assets of USD386.2bn.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location