Comment: Competition intensifies as Switzerland plans hedge fund tax break
Top hedge fund jurisdictions like London and New York have just got a reality check. Competition from other jurisdictions has gradually been intensifying and the announcement that Switzerland is planning to give tax breaks to hedge fund managers is more proof that the challenge is now gaining momentum.
In a step to boost its standing among other financial centres and in a bid to lure them from New York and London, Switzerland plans to ease the tax burden for hedge funds and private equity funds and soften regulations for investment funds. The move would see the total tax burden for managers of hedge funds and other private equity companies drop to 15 to 20 per cent overall. The change will be made by reclassifying management's investment profits and management fees.
It has to be approved by the heads of Switzerland's cantonal tax departments, but will not require new legislation. If the proposal is accepted, Switzerland could gain thousands of jobs, says Urs Roth, chief executive of the Swiss Bankers Association.
The move announced on Friday is part of a plan supported by the federal government to strengthen the international competitiveness of the financial sector. A recent report on the hedge fund industry issued by the Swiss Federal Banking Commission (SFBC) revealed that around 5 per cent of all the assets invested in Switzerland are invested in hedge fund products. Moreover, hedge funds investment advisers are increasingly opening offices in Switzerland.
The Swiss have signalled their intention to challenge the world's largest financial centres. With a crisis gnawing away at the roots of finance in the US and the UK, and with Switzerland's strong banking system, skilled resources and proposed tax changes, the global financial fight has just intensified.
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location