Valens Capital Management opens Tokyo office to service Asian investor base
New York-based alternative asset manager Valens Capital Management, which invests primarily in publicly traded and private micro-cap companies, has opened an office in Tokyo to service its growing Japanese investor base.
Earlier this year, Valens launched a yen-denominated fund that allows Japanese investors to access the US small and micro-cap market in their own currency. The Tokyo office will allow Valens to service their investors more efficiently and effectively, the firm says.
The office will be run by Kiyomi Hioki, a 28-year veteran of the alternative investment industry, who will report to New York-based partner Dennis Pollack. Hioki was previously a director at FinTech Global Securities, marketing alternative investment funds to institutional investors, having earlier spent 15 years at Daiwa Securities.
'Investors all over the world are seeking ways to invest in safer, non-correlated strategies such as asset-based lending,' Pollack says. 'Our yen-denominated fund has provided an easier way for Japanese investors to accomplish this without encountering currency risk.'
Valens Capital Management, together with its affiliate Laurus Capital Management, is headed by co-founders and fund managers Eugene and David Grin and had some USD1.6bn in assets under management at the end of September 30.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund