Hedgeweek Comment: Hedge fund sees opportunity in "new sub-prime"
As world grapples with the consequences of the implosion of the US sub-prime mortgage sector, some hedge fund managers seem to have already spotted a comparable market, following reports that funds are now turning their attention to student loans.
Jim Chanos, founder and president of Kynikos, one of the best known short-selling US hedge funds, is reported to have student loan providers high on his list to short in the near future. 'This industry has much in common with the sub-prime mortgage industry,' he is quoted as saying. 'Things do not look very bright.'
More than two-thirds of American university students rely on loans to pay for their college education, but applications are being turned down in record numbers as the fallout in credit markets makes many types of loan impossible to write.
More than 137 lenders that participate in a US government-backed student loan programme have reportedly been forced to suspend operations in recent weeks, and another 33 firms have stopped issuing loans to students at private universities.
Analysts say that in addition to the troubled financial markets, changes in the law have also made the provision of student loans a lot less attractive to lenders. Hedge funds, now ready to resume to return to short selling with a vengeance after the ban on shorting financial stocks was lifted by the SEC, sense blood in the water.
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location