Hedge fund managers expect increased regulation under US administration
More than 98 per cent of senior hedge fund managers believe the new US administration is likely to increase regulation of the hedge fund industry, according to a report by accountancy firm Rothstein Kass.
The report, 'A New Regime: The Regulatory Climate for Hedge Funds', found that an overwhelming majority also suggested that associated compliance costs will make hedge funds more costly to operate, with over 80 per cent of respondents in agreement.
While just over 75 per cent of participants suggest that the overall impact of the new administration will be negative, most reported that increased regulation will not lead to more fund closures or fewer start-ups.
Howard Altman, co-managing principal of Rothstein Kass, says: 'It's a generally accepted behavioural concept that uncertainty creates negative emotions. The financial services industry in particular has always been leery of the unknown, as uncertainty magnifies risk. Consequently, we expected our findings to show a degree of scepticism regarding the new administration and its regulatory agenda. The election's focus on the economy left many with the impression that regulatory reform will be a priority for the new regime. While the scope of these efforts is not yet defined, it is apparent that the hedge fund industry believes that regulatory action is on the horizon.'
The survey was based on telephone interviews with 313 hedge fund senior partners at US-based hedge fund organisations.
Just over 70 per cent of the participants reported assets under management between USD100m and USD750m.
Nearly 30 per cent of firms reported assets under management in excess of USD750m.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund