Comment: Can Davos save the world?
The World Economic Forum, which in past years featured glitzy receptions and boasted an attendee list including high-flying hedge fund managers, bankers and private equity moguls, has turned sombre.
This year, gloom is everywhere, with the global economic downturn at the centre of every conversation. World Bank managing director Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala observed: 'I think every expert that has spoken in Davos has said that this is much worse than they had thought.'
Fabled hedge fund manager George Soros also fears that the slump will continue to worsen. 'The size of the problem confronting us today is significantly larger than in the 1930s,' he said. 'The situation will continue to deteriorate.'
But despite all the gloom and doom, Davos remains one of the biggest networking events for a who's who of the world's political, economic and financial elite, like a non-secretive Bilderberg meeting. And despite high-profile cancellations like that of Barclays investment banking boss Bob Diamond, there are still plenty of eminent and influential people in Switzerland this week.
Is the forum actually useful? Its unique asset is its ability to bring together so many of the world's key decision-makers in one place. It may offer the best opportunity for the great and the good to discuss and devise solutions to the global crisis. If the Davos participants can't come up with some bright ideas for saving the world's economy, who can?
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location