Hedge Fund Research launches commodity and energy indices
Hedge Fund Research has launched six HFRX indices focused on specific exposures within the commodity, energy, and yield alternative sectors.
The new indices are: HFRX Commodity: Agricultural Index; HFRX Commodity: Energy Index; HFRX Commodity: Metals Index; HFRX Alternative Energy Index; HFRX Energy Infrastructure Index; and HFRX Real Estate Index.
HFR uses a Ucits III compliant methodology to construct its HFRX indices. The methodology is based on defined and predetermined rules and objective criteria to select and rebalance components to maximize representation of the hedge fund universe.
HFRX indices employ quantitative techniques and analysis, multi-level screening, cluster analysis, Monte-Carlo simulations and optimization techniques to ensure that each index is a pure representation of its corresponding investment focus.
“The hedge fund industry experienced a record level of fund performance dispersion in 2008, underscoring the heterogeneous nature of industry exposures, particularly in nuanced areas of focus, specifically energy, commodity and real estate,” says Kenneth J. Heinz, president of Hedge Fund Research. “While hedge fund managers have historically maintained consistent exposures to the energy and commodity markets, our new indices reflect that funds are employing precise and sophisticated strategies in these markets.”
With the addition of these six indices, the HFRX family now includes 71 indexes across four main strategies and 30 sub-strategies.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund