S&P 500 records sixth consecutive month of gains
The S&P 500 index registered a sixth consecutive month of gains in August, rising by 3.61 per cent in a context of stable implied volatility (26.01 per cent), according to research by Edhec.
Since its low point in February, the S&P 500 index has managed a 40.5 per cent recovery as implied volatility has dropped by 44 per cent.
The bond markets followed the same trend, as illustrated by the positive returns of the Lehman Global Bond Index (0.89 per cent). With a moderate gain (0.70 per cent), bonds returned to their level of April 2004. With a more significant jump (3.41 per cent), convertible bonds recorded a sixth month of profits and managed a spectacular 36.9 per cent recovery from their low point in November 2008.
The credit spread has kept widening and has returned to its level of July 2007. The dollar remained low but stable (+0.11 per cent) whereas the commodities market registered its first loss (0.79 per cent) since the beginning of the year.
Under the positive influence of both an increasing credit spread and the solid performance of convertible bonds, the convertible arbitrage strategy managed yet another significant gain (3.28 per cent) despite its long-term negative correlation with the S&P index. This ninth consecutive rise brought the strategy back to its level of December 2007. The CTA global strategy returned to profitability (0.81 per cent) after last month’s limited loss.
The equity market neutral strategy (+0.69 per cent) persisted with moderate but steady gains. The other equity-oriented strategies, event driven (+2.37 per cent) and long/short equity (+1.74 per cent) benefited significantly from the rising stock market.
Similarly, the fund of funds strategy recorded a sixth consecutive month of gains (1.24 per cent).
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location