Hedge funds gain ground in August as stock markets edge upward
After flying high in July as global markets traded in a consolidation mode, the Credit Suisse/Tremont Broad Hedge Fund Index eased in August—returning a positive 1.53 per cent—for a sixth consecutive month of positive returns, according to Lipper Tass.
Over August all hedge fund strategies except dedicated short bias posted positive performance.
Consolidating the positive trend since the beginning of the year, the best performing hedge fund strategy for the third month in a row was convertible arbitrage, returning a solid 3.39 per cent, while the worst performing strategy was dedicated short bias at minus 1.69 per cent.
Monthly performance dispersion among Credit Suisse/Tremont hedge fund strategy indices in August more than halved July’s reading, ending at 507 basis points. This compared to the 888-bp monthly average since 1994 and was two bps below July’s average since 1994.
Over August the average performance for the 7,000 hedge funds tracked by Lipper was a positive 1.24 per cent—29 bps lower than the Credit Suisse/Tremont Broad Hedge Fund Index.
Increasing from July’s reading—after June reversed the pattern to rising, which peaked with May’s record at 143.81 percentage points—a 114.95-percentage-point monthly performance difference in August divided the top and bottom performers of the 7,000 actively reporting hedge funds tracked by Lipper.
Lipper says US-dollar Libor-OIS widening trade strategies might offer profit opportunities in the short run. Two of the quantitative easing measures—namely the Temporary Liquidity Guarantee Program and the Treasury and Mortgage Asset Purchase Program—will expire in October.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location