Managed futures up 0.93 per cent in September
Managed futures gained 0.93 per cent in September, according to the Barclay CTA Index compiled by BarclayHedge.
The index is now up 0.05 per cent year-to-date.
Sol Waksman, founder and president of BarclayHedge, says: “Investor sentiment remained positive in September and equities extended their rally that began last March. Interest rates continued to decline as the G20 meeting and pronouncements from the Fed reassured market participants that there were no plans to raise interest rates in the immediate future.”
All of Barclay’s eight managed futures indices gained ground in September. The Diversified Traders Index was up 1.13 per cent, systematic traders gained 0.87 per cent, currency traders were up 0.60 per cent, and financial and metals traders rose 0.26 per cent.
“The US dollar continued its slide against most major currencies,” says Waksman. “This downward trend in the greenback helped drive prices for precious metals and crude oil higher, as traders sought markets that could provide some hedge against possible inflation.”
Through September, agricultural traders have gained 1.39 per cent and discretionary traders are up 0.91 per cent. On the other hand, diversified traders have lost 2.68 per cent year-to-date, and systematic traders are down 2.21 per cent.
“2009 has been a fairly quiet year for managed futures traders, with the CTA Index just sneaking past zero after nine months,” says Waksman. “No single strategy has delivered great gains, but no strategy has had major losses either.”
The Barclay BTOP50 Index, which monitors performance of the largest traders, gained 1.44 per cent in September. The BTOP50 is still down 2.01 per cent in 2009.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location