S&P GSCI recovers 5.56 per cent in February
The S&P GSCI, a commodities index, increased 5.56 per cent in February after falling 7.89 per cent in January.
The index was led higher during the month by energy: the S&P GSCI Energy Index gained 6.92 per cent in February.
“Despite a 1.13 per cent increase in the US Dollar Index, the S&P GSCI experienced broad based strength in February as the energy sector, in particular crude oil, propped up the index’s return during the month,” says Michael McGlone, director of commodity indexing at S&P Indices. “Crude oil was the leading energy commodity in February increasing 8.71 per cent, as determined by the GSCI Crude Oil Index.”
The S&P GSCI Industrial Metals Index was the second best performing sector index in February with a 5.64 per cent gain, led by a 14.31 per cent monthly increase in the S&P GSCI Nickel Index.
The S&P GSCI Precious Metals Index increased 3.1 per cent in February for a year-to-date gain of 1.51 per cent.
Strong overseas demand boosted lean hogs, leading the S&P GSCI Livestock Index to register a February gain of 3.91 per cent. Year-to-date, the index is up 3.06 per cent.
A sharp decline in sugar prices pressured the S&P GSCI Softs Index to post a February decline of 8.42 per cent, resulting in a modest monthly gain of only 0.13 per cent in the S&P GSCI Agriculture Index despite strength in the grains.
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location