BNY Mellon introduces side pocket accounting feature for hedge fund managers
BNY Mellon Alternative Investment Services has introduced enhanced accounting and reporting functionality for side pocket accounts and special purpose vehicles.
The service offers hedge fund managers greater flexibility in structuring their funds and managing illiquid or long-term assets.
Delivered via BNY Mellon's fund accounting platform, Praeeo, the automated service enables fund managers to segregate illiquid investments.
Capital and/or earned income, along with applicable profit-carry forward, can be automatically moved from the side pocket to the main or "trading" portfolio, giving fund managers more ways to manage realised events within the side pocket.
In addition, flexible investor statement options allow hedge fund managers to offer greater transparency to their investors across both liquid and side-pocketed holdings.
"Hedge fund clients utilize side pockets and SPV structures in a variety of ways," says Rick Stanley, head of product management for BNY Mellon Alternative Investment Services. "Some use them to support share classes invested in long-term assets as an investor option, while others might segregate illiquid investments as part of a fund restructuring due to market conditions. Whatever the need, this new service offers clients more options and improved operational efficiency in managing capital flows between their main and side pocket holdings."
The enhanced functionality is supported in both share- and capital-based hedge fund structures. More than 50 funds with special purpose vehicles and side pockets are currently using the new service.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund