Standard & Poor’s launches S&P WCI sub-indices
Standard & Poor’s has launched an extended family of sub-indices based on the S&P World Commodity Index.
The S&P WCI family of indices now includes the single commodity indices and sector indices, as well as regional indices in Asia and Europe.
Launched in May 2010, the S&P WCI is the first index to consist solely of listed commodity futures contracts that trade outside of the US.
“The launch of the S&P WCI is the result of Standard & Poor’s meeting the market’s needs for an international commodity index that would complement the US focused S&P GSCI, providing all-world commodity exposure,” says Michael McGlone, director of commodity indexing at S&P Indices. “The S&P WCI family now includes all the mono and sector indices but notably, the regionally traded commodities in separate S&P WCI Asia and S&P WCI Europe indices.”
The S&P WCI is a rules-based, world-production-weighted commodity index. It includes 22 commodities covering the agriculture, energy, precious metals and industrial metals sectors, listed on eight international exchanges and traded in six currencies in Asia, Europe, and North America. While the S&P GSCI is comprised of only US dollar based commodities, the S&P WCI is multi-currency.
To preserve the tradability of the index, the S&P WCI limits eligible commodity contracts to those that are the subject of active, liquid futures markets. Also, to replicate actual commodity market performance, the S&P WCI includes a “rolling” procedure designed to replicate the rolling of actual positions in the designated contracts.
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location