Stock market losses bring hedge funds down
Most hedge fund strategies had losses in September, evidenced by a 3.92% drop in the Barclay Hedge Fund Index compiled by BarclayHedge. The Index has lost 7.45% in the 3rd quarter and is now down 6.53% in 2011.
“For the second straight month we’re seeing the largest hedge fund losses since the 2008 meltdown,” says Sol Waksman (pictured), founder and president of BarclayHedge. “Equity markets, driven by fear-based liquidation, dropped precipitously. Double-dip concerns drove the S&P 500 to a 7 percent loss, the MSCI Europe Index gave up 11.1 percent over the uncertainty of resolution of its sovereign debt issues, and the Hang Seng Index lost more than 15 percent as the Chinese economy appeared to slow.”
Overall, 16 of Barclay’s 18 hedge fund indices lost ground in September. The Emerging Markets Index fell 7.61%, Equity Long Bias Index dropped 6.13%, the Event Driven Index lost 3.91%, Healthcare & Biotechnology gave up 3.54%, Distressed Securities lost 3.33%, and the Pacific Rim Equities Index was down 3.18%.
The Barclay Equity Short Bias Index jumped 8.05% in September, following a 7.03% gain in August. The Equity Short Bias Index is up 14.34% year-to-date.
“Short sellers once again were able to capitalise on the lack of confidence that current economic concerns can be resolved in a timely and effective way,” says Waksman.
The Barclay Fund of Funds Index lost 2.78% in September, and is down 5.78% year-to- date.
“After several off years, funds of hedge funds successfully demonstrated their ability to use diversification to contain downside risk and outperform hedge funds in a down market,” says Waksman.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund