New Canadian regulations on dark pools protect institutional investors
Liquidnet, the global institutional trading network, has welcomed the decision by the Canadian regulators, released on Friday 13 April, to ensure that the new Canadian rules on dark pools preserve appropriate protections for institutions seeking to execute large block orders.
These protections reflect the existing structure of Liquidnet's offering to pension and other large, long-term investors. The regulations confirm the growing importance of an institutional network to execute large block trades anonymously, securely and without market impact.
"The decision to maintain protections for large block orders directly benefits retirees and millions of other Canadian investors who invest through pension funds and similar investment vehicles. Under the new regulations, institutional investors can continue to benefit from systems like Liquidnet that provide a safe venue for executing large block orders without market impact," says Robert Young, CEO, Liquidnet Canada.
Three key changes of the new regulations include:
Visible order priority - Visible orders will have execution priority over dark orders on the same marketplace at the same price;
Meaningful price improvement - For an order below block size to trade with a dark order, the dark order must provide an execution price better than the displayed quote by one trading increment (typically one cent).
Minimum size - IIROC has the ability to designate a minimize size for dark orders. CSA and IIROC will monitor market developments closely to consider whether and when IIROC should implement a minimum size.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund