CFE to launch futures on CBOE NASDAQ-100 Volatility Index (VXN)
CBOE Futures Exchange, LLC (CFE) plans to launch trading on the CBOE NASDAQ-100 Volatility Index futures contract beginning on Wednesday, 23 May, pending regulatory approval.
VXN, which measures the volatility of the NASDAQ-100 Index, is calculated through the application of CBOE's VIX methodology to the prices of options on NDX.
The NASDAQ-100 Index represents the largest non-financial US and international securities listed on The NASDAQ Stock Market, based on market capitalisation. As of May 15, 2012, 63.76 percent of the Index securities were classified as technology.
"Our customers are seeking ways to trade and better hedge the dynamic volatility in the technology sector, which continues to be sparked by fierce competition and the rapid pace of innovation. VXN enables investors and traders to measure and benchmark volatility in the NASDAQ-100 Index, the world's premier tech-weighted broad-based index. We are now pleased to offer VXN futures, which will allow customers to hedge, diversify or take a directional view on volatility in this active market sector," says CBOE Holdings President and COO Edward T Tilly (pictured).
John Jacobs, NASDAQ OMX Executive Vice President, says: "Trading in the CBOE NASDAQ-100 Volatility Index futures will further enhance the liquidity of the industry-leading securities which comprise the NASDAQ-100 Index. These futures reflect not only the popularity of the NASDAQ-100 Index, but the CBOE's commitment to innovation and broadening the adoption of this important benchmark."
Barclays will act as a liquidity provider in CBOE NASDAQ-100 Volatility Index futures.
VXN futures is the most recent addition to a series of CFE volatility index futures contracts launched this year: CBOE Crude Oil ETF Volatility Index security futures (OVX) began trading on April 10, CBOE Brazil ETF Volatility Index security futures (VXEW) began trading on 21 February and CBOE Emerging Markets ETF Volatility Index security futures (VXEM) began trading on 9 January.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund