Oscar Hernandez and companies to pay USD1.4m over commodity pool Ponzi scheme
Oscar Hernandez of Miami, Florida and his companies, Midway Trading Company and Conquest Investment Group, are to pay a USD1.4m civil monetary penalty to settle CFTC charges that they operated a multi-million dollar commodity pool Ponzi scheme and misappropriated customer funds for personal use.
The consent order of permanent injunction was entered on 27 September 2012 by Judge Robin S Rosenbaum of the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
The order also imposes permanent trading and registration bans against the defendants and permanently prohibits the defendants from further violations of the Commodity Exchange Act, as charged.
Specifically, the order finds that, beginning in or about 2005 and continuing through about December 2008, the defendants fraudulently solicited over USD3.8m from pool participants by telling them that Hernandez had developed a risk-free commodity trading system that would guarantee annual returns of from 20 per cent to 60 per cent.
Defendants misappropriated approximately USD1m of those funds to pay for personal expenses, including mortgages, luxury car payments, and American Express bills, the court’s order finds.
In a related criminal proceeding in November 2011, Hernandez pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit securities and commodities fraud. In March 2012, Hernandez was sentenced to 57 months imprisonment and ordered to pay restitution to pool participants.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund