Total VIX Futures volume reaches new all-time high In October
Total monthly volume in futures on the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) reached an all-time high for a second consecutive month in October 2012.
The record trading activity in VIX futures also drove total volume at CFE to a new all-time high.
Total monthly trading activity in VIX futures during October was a new all-time high of 2,443,878 contracts, a gain of 172 per cent from the 897,966 contracts traded in October 2011 and up two per cent from the 2,400,552 contracts during September, which had been the previous record.
In October, average daily volume (ADV) in VIX futures totalled 116,375 contracts, an increase of 172 per cent over the 42,760 contracts per day October 2011 and down eight per cent versus the record ADV of 126,345 contracts in September 2012. The month was shortened by two trading days as a result of equity market closures on 29 and 30 October due to the East Coast hurricane.
Year to date through October, total volume in VIX futures stands 76 per cent ahead of the same time period a year ago – 18.6 million contracts versus 10.6 million contracts. Average daily volume in VIX futures year to date is 77 per cent ahead of 2011 year-to-date -- 89,043 contracts per day compared to 50,276 contracts per day.
Total trading volume at CFE during October was 2,449,414 contracts, a new record, and surpassing the 899,108 contracts traded in October 2011 by 172 per cent. When compared to the 2,410,549 contracts traded in September, which had been the previous CFE record, October trading volume rose two per cent.
Total exchange-wide ADV during October was 116,638 contracts, topping the ADV of 42,814 contracts in October 2011 by 172 per cent. October's ADV was eight per cent below the record ADV of 126,871 contracts in September.
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location