AIMA reponds to final AIFMD implementation text
The Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA) has responded to the publication of the final text of the implementing measures of the Alternative Investment Fund Managers’ Directive (AIFMD) by the European Commission.
The publication of the final text marks the conclusion of the current EU-wide legislative process and will shift the focus to a national level, with EU member states required to transpose the Directive into their national laws.
Depending on the nature of their operations hedge fund firms may have to comply as early as July 2013 while many existing EU managers may have until July 2014 to apply for AIFMD authorisation.
Andrew Baker (pictured), AIMA chief executive, says: “We are pleased that the text of the implementing measures of the AIFMD has been published. This will enable the global industry to make its final preparations for implementing the Directive by July 2013.
“We have engaged intensively with European and international policymakers ever since the release of the first draft of the AIFMD back in 2009, and while we may not agree with all of the final provisions – notably on areas like depositaries and delegation – it is now important to look forward. There is still a lot of work to do, and AIMA will be playing a leading role on behalf of its members.”
AIMA has pledged to assist the industry in meeting the various requirements. It recently announced that it will be developing an operational guide to the AIFMD, which will enable hedge fund firms to track their compliance readiness as they approach the deadline. AIMA also will publish a handbook on the Directive that will aim to provide practical guidance regarding the AIFMD’s requirements.
The Hedgeweek Awards 2013 for the best hedge fund performers and service providers will be held in London towards the end of Q1 2013. Please click here to nominate your product/firm.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund