Institutional brokers modestly bullish in Q4 2012, says TIM Group
Institutional stock brokers continued to be modestly bullish throughout the fourth quarter of 2012, continuing the trend from the end the third quarter which bodes well for the first quarter of 2013, according to a survey by TIM Group.
This is despite concerns over the US and European fiscal and economic situations and the US election which gyrated the market in 4Q12.
“It seems to be a clear case of stay calm and carry on,” says Colin Berthoud, TIM Group co-founder. “At this point, the general outlook is that brokers are sanguine if not slightly positive about the outcome of the ‘fiscal cliff’ in the US.”
According to the survey, 65 per cent of equity trading ideas that brokers sent to their institutional clients in 4Q12 were long. This was the highest quarterly average for the year. A long percentage of 66 per cent or more is considered bullish as equity sales desks are recommending two longs for every one short trade.
The general trend during 4Q12 was a weekly range 62-67 per cent long, punctuated by a low of 61 per cent the second week of the quarter and highs of 70 per cent the seventh and eighth week.
This compares to the 3Q12, which averaged a more negative 59 per cent, though was highly volatile and showing signs of improvement as it went into 4Q12.
For 2012, brokers’ ideas averaged 62 per cent long versus 64 per cent in 2011.
The Hedgeweek Awards 2013 for the best hedge fund performers and service providers will be held in London towards the end of Q1 2013. Please click here to nominate your product/firm.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location