US money fund exposure to eurozone banks declines but French holdings increase
US prime money market fund (MMF) exposure to eurozone banks decreased slightly during December 2012, with the notable exception of French banks, according to a new Fitch Ratings report.
This represents the first time since end-June 2012 that MMF eurozone holdings decreased.
Overall, MMF allocations to Eurozone banks have increased by more than 70 per cent since falling to a historical low in end-June 2012 and now represent 12.9 per cent of MMF assets. However, Fitch notes that MMF allocations to Eurozone banks remain more than 60 per cent below end-May 2011.
The one exception to the December trends was French banks. Allocations to French banks continued to increase and as of end-December 2012 represent approximately 6.5 per cent of assets under management. This is the first time since end-August 2011 that France represents the largest single country exposure within Europe. Japan remains the largest single-country exposure globally at 13.2 per cent of MMF assets, a six per cent increase since end-Nov. 2012.
The proportion of European and Eurozone exposure in the form of repos decreased markedly, a reduction in secured exposure that might to some extent indicate an easing in MMF risk aversion to the sector. Aggregate repo exposure represented about 15 per cent of total MMF assets at end-December, down from 20 per cent of MMF assets at end-November
Fitch believes it is unlikely that MMF exposures to European banks will return to 2011 levels, given ongoing efforts by many financial institutions and banking regulators to limit the use of short-term wholesale funding.
Fitch's analysis is based on a sample set of the top-10 largest US MMFs per each observation period and represents approximately USD668bn, or 45 per cent of the estimated USD1.49trn in total US prime MMF assets under management.
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location