European certificates market slightly weaker in Q4, says Eusipa
The turnover of investment certificates and leverage products traded on the European stock exchanges in the fourth quarter of 2012 was EUR20.7bn, or 13.4 per cent lower than in the third quarter of the year.
In year-on-year terms, the decline amounted to 21.9 per cent. This is shown by the latest market data collected by the European Structured Investment Products Association (Eusipa) from its members and analysed by Derivative Partners Research.
Six national associations contributed to the market statistics: Zertifikate Forum Austria (ZFA), Association Française des Produits Dérivés de Bourse (afpdb), Deutscher Derivate Verband (DDV), Associazione Italiana Certificati e Prodotti di Investimento (ACEPI), the Swedish Exchange-Traded Investment Products Association (SETIPA) and the Swiss structured Products Association (SSPA).
The trading volume of investment products recorded by the stock exchanges was around EUR10bn in the fourth quarter. This represents a decline of 14.7 per cent relative to the prior quarter. Investment certificates accounted for 48.4 per cent of total volume. Trading in leverage products was also down in comparison with the third quarter of the year. This means that the trading volume dipped by 12.2 per cent to EUR10.7bn. Leverage products accounted for 51.6 per cent of total turnover on the stock exchanges of the member countries. As of the end of December 2012, 420,238 investment certificates and 563,761 leverage products were listed on the stock exchanges of the Eusipa member countries.
Compared to the prior quarter, the number of listed products declined by 3.5 per cent. In year-on-year terms, the number of investment products grew by 7.4 per cent, while that of leverage products rose by 15.3 per cent. Banks issued 478,590 new products in the period from October to December. This was a marked slowdown in issuing activity, with 12.5 per cent fewer new issues. Leverage products accounted for 76.8 per cent of the new issues, while investment certificates made up 23.2 per cent.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location