Cayman's 'important' role in global finance
Cayman Finance has issued a statement regarding the US Senate Finance Commission confirmation hearing of Jack Lew…
At the recent United States (US) Senate Finance Committee confirmation hearing Mr Jack Lew, President Obama's nominee for Treasury Secretary, was asked about his investment in a Cayman Islands (Cayman) investment fund domiciled in Ugland House.
At this juncture, it is perhaps worth asking why people are still surprised that Americans including both Republicans and Democrats have money invested in Cayman investment funds, when it is certainly the case that all Americans who have a pension fund will likely have their money indirectly invested in a Cayman private equity or hedge fund.
There is nothing wrong with that at all. As the 2008 Government Accountability Office's Report attests, Cayman is the domicile of choice and a centre of excellence for some of the world's leading international investment funds.
Cayman investment funds are an important part of helping to solve the pension funds' need for investment diversification and the global allocation of capital. Some of this capital is, for example, invested in important infrastructure projects in emerging market countries. As a consequence Cayman helps US fund managers manage money for foreign investors, thus supporting jobs and service providers based in the US.
It is high time that Cayman's important role in the global economy and capital markets is better understood by policy makers.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location