Barclay Hedge Fund Index up 0.75 per cent in April
Hedge funds gained 0.75 per cent in April, according to the Barclay Hedge Fund Index compiled by BarclayHedge.
The Index is up 4.96 per cent year to date.
“Equity markets rose again in April on indications of continued easing early in the month and positive earnings reports later in the month,” says Sol Waksman, founder and president of BarclayHedge.
Overall, 15 of Barclay’s 18 hedge fund strategies had positive returns in April. The Barclay Pacific Rim Equities Index continued its strong performance, adding 4.39 per cent. Pacific Rim Equities now have eight straight months of gains, and are up 13.50 per cent in the first four months of 2013.
“The stated goal of the BOJ to double its monetary base in the next two years has weakened the yen and made Japanese exports more competitive in the global market,” says Waksman. “Since Japan is an export economy, a weak yen is good for business."
The Distressed Securities Index gained 1.58 per cent in April, global macro rose 1.46 per cent, emerging markets was up 1.22 per cent, and the Healthcare & Biotechnology Index added 1.17 per cent.
“Weak GDP growth in China drove commodity prices lower,” says Waksman. “Interest rates in the US and Europe moved lower as well and credit spreads continued to narrow.”
The Barclay Fund of Funds Index gained 0.60 per cent in April, and is up 3.96 per cent year to date.
The Equity Short Bias Index dropped 4.59 per cent in April and has lost 13.30 per cent in the first four months of 2013. Equity market neutral was down 0.89 per cent, and the Technology Index gave up 0.72 per cent.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location