Altis bucks the CTA trend with positive year-to-date performance
Altis Partners (Jersey) Limited, the Jersey-based systematic futures manager, has broken from the systematic CTA pack with positive year-to-date returns of +4.74% in their flagship Global Futures Portfolio*.
The Newedge Trend Index which summarises the performance of managers in this trading strategy has returned -0.04% to date in 2013**, reflecting a dramatic downturn in the fortunes of trendfollowers over the last few weeks.
Many systematic CTAs, which trade the futures markets based on proprietary computer models, have suffered from the recent asset sell-off prompted by the Federal Reserve’s announcements heralding the end of quantitative easing. Altis attributes their success in navigating the recent market moves to their dynamic style of trading and their ability to trade a broader range of markets than most of their peers.
“Our approach assumes that opportunities can present themselves in the markets at any time and in a variety of combinations, therefore it does not help to be burdened with too many preconceptions, particularly in these uncertain times,” says Paul Young (pictured), Research Manager. “Our trading system naturally takes a very dynamic approach, and while we profited from trends in equities and fixed income earlier in the year, we had shifted our focus to commodities like metals and softs by the time of the recent sell-off.”
Altis Partners was founded in 2000 and has been trading its Global Futures Portfolio strategy since 2001. The firm uses an automated proprietary trading system to trade the futures markets. The system applies techniques derived from scientific research and practical knowledge of the markets to identify opportunities across over 150 markets globally, based on price movements. Its edge lies in exploiting persistent market behaviours found in a wide range of market environments.
The Global Futures Portfolio has delivered annualised returns of +11.5% since inception. Altis currently manages USD830 million of client assets.
* estimated as of 27th June 2013.
** Source: Newedge Group, as of 26th June 2013.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location