Alternative investments provide favourable returns and diversification to US P/C portfolios, says Fitch
US property/casualty (P/C) insurers invest in alternative and other less traditional asset classes, including hedge funds and private equity investments, in an effort to gain portfolio diversification and enhance investment returns, according to a report by Fitch Ratings.
At year-end 2012, alternative investments represented eight per cent of P/C industry invested assets, compared with approximately 70 per cent fixed income securities, and 14 per cent common equities.
In the report, Fitch reviewed the P/C industry's investments in alternative and other invested assets at year-end 2012, compiling information from Schedule BA of US statutory financial statements on 50 P/C groups with the largest holdings of these asset classes.
Analysing industry long run statutory total investment returns for different asset classes reveals that alternative investments generated significantly higher returns with lower volatility compared with unaffiliated common equities for the period 2008-2012 and 1996-2012.
With portfolio yields declining in a period of extended low interest rates, more questions arise whether insurers will increase the allocation to riskier asset classes in an effort to boost returns. Fitch's analysis reveals that growth in unaffiliated alternative investments has been relatively modest over the last several years.
P/C insurers’ interest in alternative assets is tempered by generally lower liquidity relative to publicly traded securities and higher statutory risk based capital requirements relative to common equity holdings. Going forward, the industry's holdings in alternative assets are likely to increase moderately due to market appreciation and existing unfunded commitments.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location