CBOE launches short-term volatility index
Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE) has created a new benchmark volatility index – the CBOE S&P 500 Short-Term Volatility Index (VXST).
Like CBOE’s flagship VIX Index, VXST reflects investors' consensus view of expected stock market volatility.
Whereas VIX has a 30-day horizon, VXST looks out just nine days, making it particularly responsive to changes in short-term volatility triggered by market events, such as earnings, government reports and Fed announcements.
Plans call for CBOE and CBOE Futures Exchange (CFE) to introduce VXST Weeklys options and futures. The launch dates for these tradable VXST products are yet to be determined, pending regulatory approval.
“We are excited to tap into our expertise in measuring and trading volatility to develop the short-term volatility space. As we learned with VIX futures and options, it all begins with the utility of the Index,” says Edward T Tilly (pictured), CBOE chief executive officer. “VXST is designed to complement VIX. Together the two indexes provide an unrivalled picture of expected market volatility. We look forward to drawing on our experience in developing SPX Weeklys to create VXST Weeklys futures and options.”
CBOE pioneered the Weeklys options product with the launch of weekly options on the S&P 500 Index (SPXW) in 2005. This year, average daily volume through September in SPXW has reached nearly 200,000 contracts, an increase of more than 125 per cent over last year’s record pace.
Initially, CBOE will disseminate the VXST Index value once daily at the end of each trading day at 3:15 pm (Chicago time). Plans call for disseminating VXST Index values every 15 seconds during the trading day by late this year. VXST Index values will be available on CBOE’s website at http://www.cboe.com/VXST and through quote data vendors.
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location