SEC charges Bermudian investment adviser and principal for illegal short selling
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has filed a civil injunctive action against Revelation Capital Management and its principal, Christopher PC Kuchanny, alleging illegal short selling.
Kuchanny, who resides in Hamilton Parish, Bermuda, is the chairman, chief executive officer, chief investment officer and sole shareholder of Revelation Capital, an exempt reporting adviser with its principal place of business in Pembroke, Bermuda.
Rule 105 is designed to prevent potentially manipulative short selling just prior to the pricing of follow-on and secondary offerings, thereby facilitating offering prices determined by independent market forces. Rule 105 prohibits any person who makes a short sale of securities during a defined restricted period prior to the pricing of that offering from purchasing the same securities in that offering. The Rule is prophylactic and prohibits the conduct irrespective of the short seller's intent in effecting the short sale.
Revelation Capital and Kuchanny violated Rule 105 in connection with Central Fund of Canada Limited's November 2009 offering by short selling Central Fund securities during the restricted period and then purchasing the same securities in Central Fund's offering.
According to the complaint, defendants' profits from this illegal trading totalled USD1,368,243.
The Commission seeks permanent injunctions against each defendant, and disgorgement, prejudgment interest and civil penalties against each defendant.
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location