IFA attitudes to hedge funds
Close Fund Management and Man Investments have published research into the IFA sector on the back of responses to hedge fund seminars held last month.
IFA interest in hedge funds is also demonstrated by the increasing numbers subscribing to Hedgeweek www.hedgeweek.com with over 1,000 IFAs (representing almost 7% of Hedgeweek's 15,000 readership) currently receiving Hedgeweek.
The research by Close and Man suggests that client disappointment with equity funds because of the three-year bear market and demands for capital preservation are helping drive increasing interest in hedge funds amongst IFAs.
They say 11% of IFAs are recommending hedge funds currently, with 71% doing so because it is felt such funds can better spread risk, while some 67% feel such products reduce portfolio volatility.
Capital security is seen by more than a third of investors as a "highly important factor" against a lower ratio, 23%, who feel capital growth is of equal importance, the research suggests.
Of those IFAs recommending hedge funds, some 42% are recommending multi-manager multi-style portfolios, with some 38% recommending multi-manager single-style portfolios. According to the research, the remaining 21% are recommending single-manager hedge funds.
Following the research, Close Fund Management and Man Investments are now offering a free, concise guide to IFAs designed to provide an introduction to hedge funds and their portfolio benefits.
The guide will focus on the background of hedge funds and what accounts for their meteoric rise. It will also focus on hedge fund styles, funds of hedge funds and the creation of diversified portfolios, and portfolio benefits from return characteristics to performance in down markets.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund