Japan attractive in event of weakening Yen
The domestic Japanese economy remains sluggish, but with valuations close to an all-time low, stocks look attractive, especially in the event of a weakening of its currency, says Bruno Springael, Senior Investment Manager, Global High Dividend at ING Investment Management…
Regionally, there is value to be found but one must be cautious. Japan is likely to offer value and we have seen encouraging signs in emerging markets in Asia and Latin America, with inflation moderating and growth numbers not as negative as first feared.
“However, North America’s economy is showing no signs of improvement, despite recent positive developments in the labour and housing markets, and its currently relatively rich valuations mean an increased risk of market underperformance.”
Across the Eurozone, the crisis is expected to continue dominating the headlines. However, a lot of bad news is discounted in its price and the outlook for exporting companies has improved due to the underperforming Euro. Conversely, the weak domestic demand experienced in the UK and Switzerland over the past quarter is being negatively affected by both countries strong currencies versus Euro.
In terms of stocks, the second quarter swayed towards cyclical sectors, such as Industrials, IT and Consumer Discretionary, and away from Consumer Staples, Financials and Cash.
US equities were the winner in H1, rising by 11% - 2% of which can be attributed to the weak performance of the Euro. Japan, meanwhile, advanced 7% but the weaker Yen brought the return in Euros down to 6% growth. Europe, thanks to a strong June, ended the half up 5%.
In Q2 2012, the ING Invest Global High Dividend fund outperformed the benchmark MSCI World by 0.12bps, offering a 4.2% dividend yield and a pay-out ratio of around 50%.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location