Barclay CTA Index up 0.57 per cent in March
Managed futures gained 0.57 per cent in March, according to the Barclay CTA Index compiled by BarclayHedge.
The index is up 1.07 per cent year to date.
“A decoupling of US growth from global markets and aggressive easing by the Bank of Japan provided the impetus for a profitable month,” says Sol Waksman, founder and president of BarclayHedge. “Traders that were long US and Japanese equities and short EUR and JPY against the USD enjoyed good returns."
Seven of Barclay’s eight CTA indices had positive returns in March. The Diversified Traders Index gained 0.71 per cent, Systematic Traders were up 0.69 per cent, Financial & Metal Traders added 0.60 per cent, and the Currency Traders Index gained 0.47 per cent.
“On the commodity side, long positions in natural gas and crude oil provided profits, but prices for precious as well as base metals and agricultural commodities declined,” says Waksman. The Agricultural Traders Index was down 0.40 per cent in March, and was the only losing managed futures strategy for the month.
After three months, all eight BarclayHedge CTA indices are in positive territory. The Currency Traders Index has gained 1.51 per cent, Diversified Traders are up 1.42 per cent, and Systematic Traders have gained 1.31 per cent.
The Barclay BTOP50 Index, which measures performance of the largest CTAs, gained 0.77 per cent in March, and is currently up 2.48 per cent for the year.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location