ICAP's Michael Spencer invests in hedge fund administration company
Michael Spencer, CEO of ICAP, has acquired an equity stake in New Jersey-based Alternative Investment Solutions, (AIS), the hedge fund services provider.
Details of the investment were not disclosed, but Spencer's move has triggered speculation that AIS will become an acquisition target for the larger hedge fund administration groups.
"I view outsourcing as a vital component in the evolution of the hedge fund industry," said Spencer. "I have been interested in the fund administration space for some time and was impressed with the quality of service, technology and level of reporting that AIS offers. I look forward to working with the AIS management team and helping to continue the rapid growth and early success they have achieved."
AIS, which provides administration and outsourced middle and back office functions to hedge funds, this week announced the completion of the equity investment in AIS by INCAP Finance B.V. INCAP, a wholly owned subsidiary of IPGL Limited, is an investment vehicle controlled by Spencer; founder of interdealer broker ICAP.
IPGL Limited IPGL Limited is a privately owned investment vehicle in which Spencer, Chairman of IPGL Limited, and Chief Executive of ICAP plc, is the major shareholder. IPGL's previous investments include holdings in Numis Securities Limited, the investment banking and stockbroking boutique, and in the international financial services executive search company Sheffield Haworth.
Spencer will join the AIS Board of Directors, effective immediately. Negotiations for the equity investment from IPGL were headed by IPGL Fund Services Director Ronnie Armist, formerly MD of Lombard Odier, London.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund