EEX and Eurex launch emission rights contracts
The European Energy Exchange and Eurex are expanding the offering of futures on emission rights.
Pending approval of the EEX Exchange Council, the new futures will be launched as of 27 October 2009.
The partners will be offering new European Emission Allowance and Certified Emission Reductions futures with a different maturity and delivery date, in addition to the contracts already offered.
EUA and CER futures currently mature on the last exchange trading day in November every year, with delivery on the first exchange trading day in December. In future, there will also be an EUA and a CER futures contract each of which matures in mid-December instead.
The product extension is of particular advantage to market participants that are active on several CO2 exchanges and have until now had to take various delivery dates into account.
The existing contracts will continue to be listed, giving market participants a choice of delivery periods.
Market makers have already indicated their support for the new contracts and expect liquidity to build up primarily in these contracts.
EEX and Eurex are offering their clients a transfer of existing positions into the new contracts free of charge to boost liquidity.
EEX and Eurex provide a platform for trading EUA futures, options on EUA futures, and CER futures for the 2008-2012 Kyoto phase. This cooperation, which started in December 2007, allows Eurex participants to trade CO2 products which are listed on the EEX via their existing infrastructure and a simplified admission process.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund