Global Capital Partners launches Iraq Fund
Abraham Merchant and Kenneth Kuhn, managing directors of Global Capital Investments, have launched the Iraq Fund.
The fund will invest primarily in listed equities of the Iraq Stock Exchange and up to 20 per cent of its assets in private, less liquid, early-stage investment opportunities that focus on Iraq’s infrastructure and natural resources.
Merchant and Kuhn say recent trends in Iraq make the petroleum-rich country a compelling investment opportunity.
“As Iraq’s economy transitions, it is in the process of adopting legal and regulatory reforms that will make its financial markets more attractive to outside investors,” says Merchant. “Interest rates have fallen from 20 per cent to six per cent annually, exports have risen, the dinar is stabilising, and the country has minimal national debt
The stock markets of the Gulf Cooperation Council, a federation made up of six countries that neighbour Iraq, have market caps on average that are 70 to 100 per cent of GDP. Iraq’s current market cap, by contrast, stands at USD3.5bn, or 3.5 per cent of its USD100bn GDP. According to IMF estimates, Iraq’s GDP is expected to outpace its GCC neighbours in coming years.
"Only a fraction of Iraq's known fields are in development while 80 per cent of the country remains unexplored. As redevelopment progresses, it will further strengthen the overall economy for the Iraqi people," says Kuhn.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location