Newedge extends clearing services to OTC interest rate swaps
Newedge has been approved for membership to clear over-the-counter interest rate swaps at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange.
Achieving authorisation means Newedge is the first futures commission merchant and non-traditional OTC IRS swap dealer to offer central counterparty clearing of OTC interest rate derivatives.
“Change inevitably breeds opportunity," says Newedge chief executive Nicolas Breteau (pictured). "The developing regulatory agenda has created the opening for Newedge to bring our world-class listed derivatives and OTC commodity swaps clearing expertise to the OTC IRS space. Membership of the CME is another important step forward towards fully realizing this opportunity. Strengthening our global platform, sharing our know-how, and offering true impartiality born of our independence, mean that we are well placed to help clients benefit from reduced counterparty risk, default protection, and capital efficiencies from cross-margining opportunities."
“We are pleased to welcome Newedge as an OTC IRS clearing member of CME,” says Kim Taylor, president, CME Clearing. “We strive to offer market participants a diverse pool of clearing membership, and we are focused on continuing to work with both the buy and sell-sides to provide capital and operational efficiencies to all market participants as they transition to central clearing.”
Newedge's move follows regulatory changes to the USD441trn IRS market, where Dodd-Frank in the US and European Markets Infrastructure Regulations are paving the way for a shift in the bilateral OTC market towards increased central counterparty clearing, greater transparency, and reduced counterparty risk for the benefit of end customers.
A partnership with Societe Generale Corporate & Investment Banking (SG CIB) and Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank (CACIB) supports Newedge’s IRS clearing initiative. Newedge’s OTC IRS clearing platform will be accessible to SG CIB and CACIB’s customers seeking an OTC IRS clearing solution.
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
- Conference reports
Latest Special Report
- By Location
- How to set up a hedge fund