Hyundai seeds new Asian quant fund… Hedge fund managers, traders and finance analysts are leaving Asia…
Hyundai's financial services arm is set to seed a new Asia-focused hedge fund, its first-ever such venture outside of South Korea.
Hyundai Securities will provide the bulk of AQG Capital Management's initial capital, expected to be USUSD100 million, the Economic Times reports. AQG will be led by ABN Amro and K3 Capital Management veteran Kim Hong-shik, and will also feature Minsoo Seo, formerly of South Korea's sovereign wealth fund. Singapore-based AQG will employ a quantitative market-neutral strategy, focused on Asian stocks.
Hedge fund managers, traders and finance analysts are leaving Asia as poor returns left many of them unable to collect performance fees arising from the 2008 global financial crisis. In a report, Bloomberg said the majority of these managers and traders have now found jobs in mutual funds, endowments, consulting firms and companies outside of the money-management business and have accepted paychecks lower than what they used to get.
One of those who left was Paul Smith who transferred to Hong Kong from London 17 years ago to try his luck in the Asian hedge funds space. The 53-year-old hedge fund veteran was quoted as saying, "I decided not to wait the cycle out but to do something more productive with my time. The hedge fund industry in Asia will continue to struggle to raise funds for the next few years as banks continue to have liquidity issues." Smith is now head of the Asia Pacific office of the not-for-profit CFA Institute, the global association of chartered financial analysts.
Data from Asia-based hedge fund data provider Eurekahedge showed that hedge fund assets fell 28 per cent from their peak in 2007 while assets of hedge funds across the globe jumped 21 per cent since 2007 to reach a record high USD2.3tln as at end December 2012.
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location