Hedgeweek Comment: Hedge funds turn critical eye on prime brokers
As market participants such as hedge funds examine the ongoing global financial uncertainty, there are bound to be many casualties. First up are prime brokers, many of which were set up by investment banks to cash in on the boom when times were better.
But now the writing is on the wall. A recent survey conducted by FINalternatives suggests that one in three hedge funds are not satisfied with their prime brokers and would consider a change (or have already changed) because they are 'poor performers'.
According to the latest FINalternatives prime brokerage survey, which polled around 120 hedge fund and CTA managers about key aspects of their relationships with prime brokers including personal service, cost and value, expertise, capital introduction capabilities and electronic execution, as much as 38 per cent of fund managers regard their prime broker's capital introduction service as 'poor' or non-existent.
Today's volatile environment has provided many hedge funds with additional reason to rethink their core service providers and the impact they have on investors, FINAlternatives says. Forward-thinking prime brokers believe they must adapt to the new era by undertaking roles traditionally provided by other financial providers such as administrators and custodians.
Many in the industry see this trend increasing in the future as fund managers seek a one-stop shop from which they can receive a wide array of alternative fund services on a consolidated basis. The new prime broker - or overall fund service provider, if you will - must provide easy and consolidated access to a full range of top-tier specialist services.
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location