Jeff Keen (pictured), fund manager, Waverton Global Bond fund, J O Hambro Investment Management (JOHIM), on the impact of the Fed’s and ECB’s stimulus measures…
September saw the official confirmation of long awaited stimulus initiatives from both the Fed and ECB. The Fed announced an open-ended QE programme, focused on purchasing USD40bn of mortgage-backed securities (MBS) a month as well as extending its conditional commitment to leave its policy rate at near-zero through mid-2015. It also stressed that future policy action will depend on how economic conditions develop with a particular focus on the level of unemployment.
Meanwhile, the ECB confirmed its willingness to purchase “unlimited” quantities of peripheral government bonds under the new Outright Monetary Transactions (OMT) policy, but only where governments make an official request for aid.
Market reaction to these announcements saw an initial sharp rally for risk assets and a sell-off in safe haven government bonds, where yields rose around 30bps before recovering to end modestly higher at month end. Fears over Spain’s ability to recover in the face of increased austerity, as presented in the new budget, ensured the mood remained cautious.
JOHIM remains optimistic that although core bond yields seem to be trading within a fairly rigid range, the possibility for a breakout remains biased on the upside as an eventual return to ‘normal’ markets filters through to an increase in real yields from these ultra-low/negative levels.
The Waverton Global Bond Fund rose 1.7% during September, outperforming the Citigroup World Government Bond index which gained 1.3%.
- By Category
- News from other sites
- Special Reports
- By Location
- Asian Hedge Funds
- BVI Hedge Fund Services
- Bermuda Hedge Fund Services
- Canada Hedge Fund Services
- Cayman Hedge Fund Services
- Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Future of offshore funds
- Gibraltar Hedge Fund Services
- Guernsey Hedge Fund Services
- Hedge Funds in Germany
- Hong Kong Hedge Fund Services
- Ireland Hedge Fund Services
- Isle of Man Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Hedge Fund Services
- Jersey Private Equity Services
- Latin American Hedge Funds
- London Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Hedge Fund Services
- Luxembourg Private Equity Services
- Malta Hedge Fund Services
- Middle East Hedge Fund Services
- Singapore Hedge Fund Services
- South African Hedge Fund Services
- Spanish Hedge Funds 2008
- Switzerland Hedge Funds
- US East Coast Hedge Fund Services
- US Hedge Fund Services
- By Subject
Latest Special Report
- By Location